Cengage Learning Director, Market Development, Educational Technology in Cincinnati, Ohio
Market Development Specialists work closely with Product Managers and Marketing Managers to develop the vision for key products as well as strategize and execute on effective market research, seeding and development activities for strategic product launches. The Director of Market Development serves as a leader of the Market Development Managers within a market group, determining priorities for the group in close collaboration with the Executive Director of Market Development and Product Directors, as well as driving core strategies central to the success of the team and aligned with Cengage initiatives.
Reporting to the Executive Director of Market Development, the Director of Market Development will lead a team of Market Development Managers to successful strategic development and execution of end-to-end market developmnent plans, resulting in market-ready products with early advocacy and sales results. From product concept to beta-testing, your team will bring the voice of the customer to the table and help shape the overall product message and strategic plan. Your team will take the lead on the upstream customer engagement strategy and ensure all functional areas align on this strategy. In addition, the Director will ensure valid research practices, system integrations and a consistent customer engagement plans across the portfolio.
The Director, in partnership with the Executive Director will help set vision, strategy and develop standard practices that deliver a meaningul and impactful pre-launch customer experience. The Director of Market Development will develop talent within the group, direct best practices, and work in lock step with cross-functional counterparts (Marketing Directors, Product Directors, Directors of Development specifically).
You are a creative problem solver, a passionate self-starter, a motivating leader and an amazing collaborator.
Manages, develops, and trains Market Development Managers in exemplary market research, seeding and development practices that yield successful product launchs and drive strategic revenue goals.
Works with the market development team to develop and execute effective market seeding and market development plans for key product launches, plans that will lead to successful product launch and generate almost-closed leads to sales and marketing.
Ensures market development plans are delivering on needs, expectations and tracking towards successful product launches.
Help team build standard processes and tactics, based on suceess, that can be scaled across broader market development team.
Understand and demonstrate proficiency in engaging student and faculty in product development process.
Work with Product Directors to set priorities and projects for Market Development Managers.
Makes sound, market-informed and data-driven decisions.
Acts as a go-to person and strategic leader within the company; has strong business acumen.
Assists Sales and Marketing with customer presentations and meetings.
Travels to campus, discipline meetings, sales meetings as needed to close business, gain market understanding, conduct research with the Product team, and contribute to Product launch efforts.
Leads a team of Market Development Manager focused on coaching, advising, and advocating for each employee as their needs warrant. Meet all performance review process deadlines, providing feedback at assigned times and throughout the employee lifecycle and with a focus on career development for team members at all levels.
Maintains a steady bench of candidates for roles within their team and across the Product organization within their region and at both traditional and new competitive businesses. Leads the hiring process and selects high performers for open positions as they arise. Participates positively in the selection process for stakeholder positions.
• 5+ years relevant product management, marketing, sales, or development experience. Demonstrated success in product launch and market development, preferably with digital products in the learning solutions space.
• 2-3 years of direct people management experience
• BA or BS.
• Experience with competitive analysis, market segmentation, and market research
• Strong organizational and project management skills. Attention to detail.
• Possess the ability to position products within a market with keen understanding of how they will be used: course goals, instructor pain points, student needs, and competitive knowledge.
• Ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
• Requires proficiency w/Microsoft Office (Excel, PPT, and Word).
• Experience bringing to market digital solutions, which sometimes includes marketing, selling and closing business with beta versions.
• Experience bringing content-based learning solutions to market.
• Experience with agile development processes and recurring release cycles.
Job Locations US-MA-Boston | US-OH-Cincinnati | US-CA-San Francisco | US-NY-Clifton Park
Posted Date 2 weeks ago
Requisition ID 2017-3846
Job Function Product Management